Tuesday 17 June 2008

You Quilt, You Learn.....

Well, at the time it always seems worth it.....you plan, you start...you end up spending your nights in an effort to finish your quilt. Of course YOU love it, because it's yours.....and then you post it off. Finally, you're finished.

Then, you walk past your quilt at the show, and its crinkled, and its nothing like you remember....what was I thinking? Where did all the gold go? It just looks beige! Is it the lighting? Is it the surrounds? Am I colourblind?

This quilt looked so beautiful at home. It glowed and had a real old fashioned beauty about it. But now, I'm wondering what all the fuss was about.


I am beginning to question my designing skills and this quilt fell very short of what I had planned. On the positive side of things, we do finally have a quilt to throw over the sofa..... it's not gonna make it to the wall, or 'important quilt' cupboard. It's disappointing when this happens, expecially when you have high hopes, but....you quilt ....and you learn.


I have learnt my lesson, when you have a lot of gold fabrics in your stash - leave them there, dont try to use them all up in a quilt just because you love gold.

I wonder how many other quilters experience this, is it just me?

5 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me ?!!! This quilt is absolutely bBEAUTIFUL. I'd love to see some close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the previous post, this quilt is gorgeous! Sometimes I think we are our own worst critics. I have been to big shows here in the US which are usually held at convention centers. They have the WORST lighting for quilts. It changes the colors and throws horrible shadows. I think once you see this quilt back in your own home you will love it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. And it doesn't matter two hoots whether it got a ribbon or not sometimes the lighting at shows doesn't do what the lighting at home does. But at another show (or next to different quilt), it looks stunning.
    It is a wonderful quilt, KNOW THIS THING!
    I've got to the point where I think showing quilts is like showing dogs. Sometimes the dogs personality is shining, sometimes not.
    Sometimes your quilt is handled well, sometimes it goes to the bottom of the pile before the show and looks crinkled. Sometimes the light hits it at just the right angle to show of the quilting, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the light is too blue, sometimes too yellow.
    IT IS A GREAT QUILT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Gorgeous... No Doubt About THAT !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wait till the quilt comes home again. Believe me, all the things you felt in love with are coming back...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...