Tuesday 30 October 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival


I've been taking part in this festival since Amy started it, and I always think, "what a great idea!" and love spending an afternoon in a comfy chair with a cup of coffee and visiting so many wonderful blogs and reading all the stories behind your quilts and projects, welcome to my blog!

Peony is the very first block from my quilt "Forget Me Not" which is an applique wall quilt designed to celebrate and enjoy the beauty of flowers. I have selected and designed applique flowers that have a special meaning and significance to me- and which I know I'll love looking at for years to come once the quilt is finished.

Peony is a special block for me as it's one of my favourite flowers. I've turn edge appliqued this block, which was time intensive but definitely worth the extra effort. The fabric used is from my own hand dyed stash and the petals have been highlighted and heat set with white pencil.

I will be writing "Peony" in the name scroll when I come to the end of my quilt. There is also a frame to come around this block, and perhaps some embroidered details too. I know that a member of my Yahoo BOM group added a little ant (apparently peonies require ants to bloom?) so this seems a nice touch to consider!


I am really enjoying making each block for this quilt and cant wait to see my quilt on the wall where it can be enjoyed all year. Each month there are 2x applique floral designs to choose from. Well, of course I couldn't resist and am making 2x at the same time (one is a light yellow background and the other is a dark charcoal background). Most quilters taking part in the mystery are making 1x of the quilt, so each month they select 1x block.

What I really love about this design option is that each month you have a choice and this also means that no two Forget Me Not Quilts will be the same!

The Mystery BOM so far:
  1. Instructions
  2. Peony & Sunflower
  3. Calla Lily & Cosmos
  4. Wild Rose and Lilac & Jacob's Ladder
  5. Forget Me Not & Poppy
  6. Morning Glory & Sweet pea
  7. Crown of Thorns & Magnolia
  8. Violet and Pansy & Hibiscus
  9. Tulip & Snow Drop


half way through and the mystery continues...
Next free block released on November 15th!













These are blocks from my free 2012 Mystery BOM

Yes, anyone can join in:
You can download this month's block via my website or my Yahoo Bom Group 


6 comments:

  1. very beautiful blocks! my favorite is Forget-me-not itself :) with little bird.
    regards from Russia

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just gorgeous!! I love florals, really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy's Quilt festivals are a joy.
    Your forget me not blocks are wonderful. This is going to be a spectacular quilt.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...