Saturday 18 July 2015

My Winter Sewing Nook

It's winter down my way so the days are short, the nights are long and it's mostly chilly. In winter my favourite sewing nook moves away from my actual sewing room to the lounge room where I have a comfy chair by a large window. It means I get as much light as possible whilst it lingers. And I like sewing in the open because it means I'm present when my DDs drop in to visit most evenings. When I'm in my sewing room, I'm a bit of a sewing hermit - I can spend all day in there. But winter brings new routines and this is my winter sewing spot.
At first I just had a carpet bag with my latest sewing project in there; but now I've settled in and have a side table, a bar stool that serves as a mini bench top, a daylight lamp, a footstool and some journals, threads, books and assorted sewing supplies. My family are not thrilled about this - they think its messy. I really don't think it's as bad as they say. You can hardly get up to creative pursuits without some supplies on hand. At least, I can't. And if you can't be creative in your own home - where can you be??
As you can see I'm working on the inner plate edge of Oma's Blues. I'm hand sewing in the evenings and working between LE, LE2, Oma's Blues and a few other little projects so it's always new.
These are a few of my sketch journals, some threads, thimble stickers. hand cream and baby wipes for keeping handwork clean.
What about you? Where do you sew? Do you move around through the seasons or do you keep all your work in one room all year long? I'd love to know..

10 comments:

  1. I do most of my quilting in the quilt room of my old farm house. There are 3 big windows facing south and west to get the most sun summer and winter. In summer, I pull down the blinds if it gets too hot. For me it is about physical comfort when I stitch and that means my comfy office chair and a table under my arms as I stitch. I have learned my lesson about hand stitching in the living room and leaving pins and needles in the carpet. and I do not really like to watch TV all that much. For traveling and babysitting, I have a gramma's bag ready to take along.
    http://holycowchris.blogspot.ca/2014/07/grammas-bag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I am watching several shows at the moment that I completely addicted to - even though they are so predictable, The Great British Sewing Bee and the Bake Off version of that show, I love having them on as I sew away in the evenings!

      Delete
  2. I also have a sewing spot like yours in my living room. Yes, my husband don't like it very much but I explained him that it's to be together and it's my happy place in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Chris, I mostly create in my sewing room, but do venture out in the evenings to sit doing hand stitching at our dining table while my husband reads, listens to music or watch TV. Our quiet time together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a place in the house to work. But in the summertime it is to hot to sew there, so I went to sew on a nice spot in the garden under the trees and I work in our dining room.
    I work everywhere when Iám busy with little things in a quilt. For instance hexagon or flying geese.
    Have a nice weekend Esther and I like to read your blog. Thank you so much fot sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh... love your cozy little sewing spot. I do machine quilting in my sewing room, but all my hand stitching is done in the living room. My house is too busy with teenagers to safely leave sewing things out, so I have one or two applique bags in a big basket in the corner of my bedroom ready to transport to the living room. Also, I have a quilt in a hoop always--folded away in a blue Ikea bag ready to take to, yep, the living room. I have a spot in one corner of the couch where the lighting is good and the end table is within perfect reach. Everybody knows that my spot gets instantly vacated if I show up with a sewing bag in the evening.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your cozy little nook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Esther, so strange to see it's winter at your place. In Holland we're finally enjoying summertime!
    Most of my stuff is in my sewing room. When I sew by hand I take it with me to the couch or in the garden. There are a few things in a closet downstairs, but only things I absolutely need for the projects I'm working on. It's a bit to chaotic for me when I have to much stuff hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it must be! It's perfect quilting weather for me right now as it's so chilly down my way

      Delete
  8. Hi Esther, here in Canada we are mid summer. I have a sewing room in the basement where it is cool. I move up to the dining room in the winter and I too worry a little about how all my stuff looks. Luckily I have French doors I can close on it. But I love your sewing corner. It looks comfy and inviting to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...