Sunday 25 February 2018

BOM 2018: Morning Glory, the Leaves

When you're making as many leaves as Morning Glory calls for, then you want to really love them!
Here are my leaf shapes, traced straight off the constructed pattern sheet and onto fusible webbing. I managed to source my favourite fusible, which is currently Floriani Stitch n Wash Fusible. I got it from Red Rock Threads which was a huge relief. I'm very grateful to the reader who suggested this shop to me, thank you so much.
This is the thread I used to create embroidery veins. I don't actually have time to embroider these lines, so I'm doing a cheat with my machine.
 Here I am with my nifty sewing machine light, I love this cheap little gadget.
 I set the fabric in an embroidery hoop and stitch the pattern lines from the back
 Like this
You could actually do it from the front, but I'd rather not draw on the front of the fabric when it's already drawn for me on the fusible.
 This is what the front side looks like. I think it works really well and it's nice and quick to create. 
It simply adds an extra textural detail that I love. 
And once I cut the shape out and turn the fabric seam allowance, this is what the back looks like.
 It's a production line..
How are your leaves getting on?





Morning Glory is my current paid BOM. It's an applique and pieced quilt. 

Yes, you can start this BOM today! 

Simply click the quilt image to learn more.


8 comments:

  1. What thread do you have in your bobbin?? It appears somewhat wooly. This is such a wonderful idea, mixing the best of two worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of stitch is that? It looks hand embroidered. Thanks nice job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I have a bobbin that is larger for this purpose of using thicker thread. I used a straight stitch, 4mm with loose tension on the bobbin (not the top stitch)and I used the Aurifil thread in the pic. As you can see, I stitched from the back of the fabric over the fusible. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Esther! I've not tried bobbin stitching yet.beautiful though

      Delete
  3. I must try your method of embroidering the leaves before you attach them. They look lovely. I am going to add some stitching to mine as it adds depth. Love your tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, would like to know your stitch & length on your embroidery. It doesn't appear to be a simple straight stitch. I always enjoy learning from your blog. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wauw... you are going so fast.... The leaves are fine with the machine embroidery...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!! You are amazing!! I NEVER would have thought to do this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...